WELCOME YOUR PUPPY HOME!
Now you are the parent to a new puppy or new adult dog! Introduce your new puppy to his/her new surroundings. At his/her young age, your puppy is more like an infant than a pet who will need plenty of supervision, love and patience from you! Here are some tips to help your puppy adjust...
- Bring your new puppy home when it's quiet and without company or commotion in the house. Wisely, choose a time when your routine is normal.
- Show your new puppy the designated area of your yard that will be his/her bathroom before bringing him inside; take him/her there whenever he goes outside.
- Give your new puppy his/her own room where you can keep his/her crate, complete with bedding and chew toys.
- In the beginning, leave the crate's door open to help him/her feel safe in his/her "bed".
- Put down newspaper or old towels for accidents.
- Supervise your new puppy at all times, and schedule play or walk time with him/her several times a day; this will help establish yourself as the pack leader.